Shoe-lovers, shoemakers and shoe buyers are faced with the simple but reoccurring problem of determining accurate shoe measurement and sizing for shoe. It also doesn’t help that shoe sizes vary per country or region.
Determining your shoe size is very important because your foot size can change over time, though, and even with the time of day. Wearing the wrong shoe size can cause blisters, abrasions, pain, long-term injury, and even back issues. So, don’t wear the wrong shoe size!
We have highlighted a few DIY steps in knowing your shoe size. Ready?
First off, before you begin this process, you are going to need some tools. They are;
- A ruler or tape rule
- A chair
- A pair of socks (optional)
- Pen, pencil or marker
- 2 pieces of plain paper that are larger than your feet.
Let’s get down to business!
- Tape the plain piece of paper to the floor, then sit down comfortably on the chair.
- Place your foot firmly on the piece of paper. Ensure that your leg is bent slightly forward so that your shin is just in front of your ankle. If you are going to wear a socks when you purchase the shoe, put it on. If not make use of your bare feet.
- Trace the outline of your foot on the paper. Make sure the pen or pencil or marker is held straight and not at an angle. If it is held at an angle, what you are drawing would be the outline of the sole of your foot and that’s not what you need.
- Repeat the same procedure for the other foot. This outline is to be gotten on the other sheet of paper.
- Mark the widest (width) and longest (length) parts of your feet. Use the largest of the shoe measurements gotten determine your shoe size.
- Subtract, 3/16 of an inch from each of the length and width of your shoe. This stands for the small space between your foot and the line made by the pencil.
The final results are the actual sizes of your feet. You can make use of the shoe charts for more clarification.
How easy did you find these steps? Do let us know in the comment section below. So, the next time you want to get that #TFA shoe you love so much, let these steps guide you on the right path.